The act of massaging your face with a roller has many benefits, including stress reduction and tension release. Here are our favorite advantages of facial rollers:
- Improved blood circulation: face rollers can simulate increased blood circulation in the face, which results in brighter and firmer skin
- Sinus cleanser: when used near the nose and mouth, rollers have been shown to reduce stuffy sinuses
- Decreased puffiness: rolling stimulates lymphatic drainage, which will help reduce puffiness surrounding the eyes and cheeks
- Cooling & soothing: rollers are meant to be used cool, resulting in smaller pores and decreased puffiness
- Skincare product distribution: Rollers are typically used with a facial oil or cream, which delivers products deeper into the skin
There are many myths surrounding facial rollers, so let's discuss which are true and which are false:
So, now that we know the benefits and have busted the most common myths regarding facial rollers, how do we actually suggest using them? Check out our tips on how to use your roller:
- Apply a facial oil, serum, or facial cream that has plenty of “slip.” Without proper lubrication, the tool can tug at your skin, which can actually contribute to wrinkles
- Start at your neck and roll upwards. For the best results, do not roll back and forth
- Roll from the jawline to the ear using gentle pressure. Continue this motion all the way from the jaw to the cheekbone.
- Roll from the forehead up towards the temples (only in the upward direction!).
- Roll horizontally over your eyebrows, a motion that is especially calming if you are prone to headaches or migraines.
- You can also perform a facial massage or “facial yoga” with your roller, or even an at-home facial.
How Often Should You Use Your Facial Roller?
We suggest using your facial roller daily. This often results in best results, as well as gives you something to look forward to during your nightly skincare routine!
How Long Should You Roll For?
Even if you only have a few minutes, you’ll still be able to get the de-stressing and de-puffing benefits! A 2018 study found that using a facial roller for only 5 minutes can increase blood flow to the cheeks. We suggest using your roller up to 10 minutes per day, but always stop if it begins to hurt!
What Type of Facial Roller is Best?
With their increase in popularity, there are now several types of facial rollers on the market. Jade, however, still remains the most popular stone used in rollers. You can also find other facial rollers that are made of:
- Rose quartz
All of these rollers can be beneficial for your skin!
Jade and metal rollers are naturally cool, so they don’t need to consistently be stored in your refrigerator. Rose quartz has a slow transfer of heat, which means it will hold temperatures for long periods of time (which can be nice when you are using your roller for longer periods of time). Rose quartz is also a harder and smoother stone than jade, so it is less likely to break if dropped accidentally. However, jade’s imperfect surface has been proven to be especially beneficial for contouring.
Some rollers on the market claiming to be made of jade are actually some other stone that has been chemically dyed or treated with polymers to give them a shiny surface. You definitely don’t want those on your face! A few simple ways to see if your jade roller is real includes:
- Clink a piece of jade that you know is real against your roller. If it sounds flat - like plastic - it’s likely fake.
- Touch your jade roller, and if it’s cool to the touch, it is likely real.
- Examine your roller. Air bubbles are a sign that the jade is fake. A real jade roller should have some marbling or imperfections on the surface.
- Scratch your roller gently with your fingernail. Real jade won’t have marks on it.
How To Clean Your Roller
- Wipe off any excess product from your roller with a damp washcloth. You should wipe your roller after every use, or at least twice a week.
- Use a gentle face wash to kill bacteria. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with warm water afterwards.
- Avoid putting hot water on your roller, and never soak it in water.
- Lay your roller horizontally on a clean cloth to dry.
Facial rollers are not only a relaxing massage, but they also hold many benefits for your skin.
Rolling daily can help increase blood flow, help with lymphatic drainage, increase natural contouring, and decrease puffiness.
There are many different types of rollers you can choose from, and all have varying benefits. Just take note of the signs of fake stone, and remember to clean your roller regularly.